To date, the earliest mention of the Holston Base Ball Club occurs in connection with Tennessee’s first State Convention of Base Ball Players held in Chattanooga on Wednesday, May 1, 1867. Knoxville sent the Holston Base Ball Club and the (imaginatively named) Knoxville Base Ball Club; Chattanooga furnished six clubs; and Memphis and Tazewell supplied one club each. The results of the organizational meeting were published in the Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and Nashville newspapers, the latter of which, the Nashville Union and Dispatch, printed this summation on May 3, 1867:
Base Ball Convention. A State Convention of Base Ball Players met at Chattanooga on the 1st inst. The following clubs were represented :
Mountain City, Chattanooga.
The meeting was called to order by G. M. Brown, chairman of the committee.
Mr. Clay C. Runyan, from Sturm Club, of Tazwell, was appointed Recording Secretary pro tem.
It was moved and seconded that a committee on credentials be appointed by the chair. Carried.
Messrs. E. D. Lyons. Mountain Citv, C. C. Siegfried, Lookout, and R. J. Fowler, Lightfoot, were appointed.
It was then moved and seconded that a committee of three be appointed to draft a constitution and by-laws. Carried.
Messrs. C. C. Seigfried, of Lookout, R. L. Woodward, of Holston, and E. D. Lyons, of Mountain City, were appointed, and brought in the rules and regulations adopted by the National Base Ball Association, which were read and adopted by sections, as the rules to govern the Tennessee Base Ball Association, which were then adopted as a whole by the meeting.
It was moved and adopted that the Mountain City Club, of Chattanooga, be considered the champion club.
The meeting then proceeded to the election of officers, resulting as follows: W. J. Ramage, Lookout Club, of Chattanooga, President ; R. L. Woodward, Holston Club, of Knoxville, 1st Vice President ; M. D. Graham, Enterprise Club, of Memphis, 2d Vice President ; Spencer Munson, Knoxville Club, of Knoxville, Recording Secretary ; G. M. Brown, Mountain City Club, of Chattanooga, Corresponding Secretary ; George S. Duncan, Southwestern Club, of Chattanooga, Treasurer.
The following committees were then appointed:
A Committee on Rules and Regulations was appointed by the President, consisting of the following delegates: R. J. Fowler, Lightfoot, chairman ; G. M. Brown, Mountain City ; M. D. Graham, Enterprise ; Spencer Munson, Knoxville ; R. L. Woodward, Holston ; J. Whitney, American ; and L. Murrin, Light bodies.
Committee on Nomination—R. L. Woodward, chairman ; E. H. Brown, Mountain City ; Chatman, Enterprise.
Committee on Judiciary—Clay C. Runyan, Sturm Club, chairman ; Geo. S. Duncan, Enterprise ; R. L. Woodward, Holston; and E. D. Lyons, Mountain City.
Also a Committee on Printing was appointed as follows: C. C Seigfried, Lookout, chairman ; Spencer Munson, Knoxville; R. J. Furlow, Lightfoot; and on motion W. J. Ramage, President elect, was added to the committee.
It was then moved and seconded that the proceeding of this meeting be published in the Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville papers, also a copy be sent to the New York Clipper for publication, which was carried.
A motion was then made and carried that the first regular annual meeting on the second Wednesday of September, 1867, be held at Memphis.
A motion was then made that a day be selected for a tournament of all the Base Ball Clubs in the State to contest for the championship of the same, which was lost.